It’s located in Plazoleta Espinar, 200 meters from Plaza de Armas of Cusco.
The Merced Church, also known as the Minor Basilica of Merced, is situated very near to Plaza de Armas, in Plaza Espinar.
The church (monastery) of the Merced suffered great damage in the earthquake of 1650 but was rebuilt in a later period that lasted from 15 to 20 years and currently consists of Mannerist covers that contrast with the exuberant baroque bell tower. It has important choir stalls and oil paintings of great interest, as San Laureano de Basilio Santa Cruz Pumacallo (XVII). In it lie buried the remains of the two Diego de Almagro, the Elder (1538) and El Mozo(1542) both architects during the conquest of the Inca Empire.
The convent formerly had four cloisters; currently there are two convent cloisters and one of them has become the current Mercy College. The church is composed of three naves, a high one and a low one, whose construction includes a Greek Cross.
The Merced Church is one of the most important in Cusco; its baroque style and fine finish make it a very attractive place for visitors. This church was the mother house of the Order of the Mercedarians in South America. Historically, the church suffered serious damage from earthquakes, but due to its importance it was rebuilt.
Within the cloisters one can find a variety of frames and fragments of wall paintings of the early church of La Merced- which portray the life of Don Pedro de Nolasco, founder of the Mercedarian Order- that were painted by the master Ignacio Chacon.
In this church sits the famous jewel and relic “Custodia de la Merced”, made in 24 carat gold and encrusted with 1518 diamonds, 615 stones (rubies, topazes and emeralds) and a large pearl in the shape of a mermaid, considered the second-largest in the world.
Museum Hours: Morning: 8:00a.m. to 12:00p.m. – Afternoon Shift: 2:00p.m. to 5:00p.m.
Cost: National or foreign adult: S/. 9.00 National or foreign student: S/. 5.00 *children up to 10 years old do not pay.